Our Position Statement
To be signed before any church or school group uses the Longview facilities for a Custom Camp.
(Group Name) does not associate with, fellowship with, or join together with unbelievers for religious or spiritual endeavors. This includes those who do not believe in the veracity of the Scriptures as the only source of absolute truth or do not believe that salvation is by grace through faith in Jesus Christ alone, apart from any additional works or second acts of grace. Furthermore, we do not subscribe to any belief that the revelation of God is incomplete or that visions, dreams, speaking in tongues, or any additional contemporary inspiration gives new revelation that would add to, amend, or in any way contradict the literal, historical, contextual interpretation of the Scriptures long established as the Canon of the Word of God.
We understand that Longview recognizes the priesthood of the believer, the autonomy of the local church, and individual soul liberty and accountability to our Lord Jesus Christ. Nevertheless, if necessary in the interest of not being offensive to the conscience of other believers (1 Corinthians 10:23–33), we agree in Christian love (Romans 14) to put others first by limiting our liberty so as not to be a stumbling block (1 Corinthians 8), and thereby glorify our Lord Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 10:31). Therefore, we agree to operate within the application guidelines of practice and behavior established by Longview while conducting a custom camp retreat at their facility.
While the absolutes of the Scripture and the principles derived from them never change, specific practices may change as churches make new applications in a changing society. We understand that in order to deal with such applications in a way that is non-offensive for some believers Longview has adopted some application guidelines of practice and behavior for custom camp groups.
Application Guidelines for Practice & Behavior: It is understood that that these guidelines are for members of our group while at Longview and may or may not reflect our church’s beliefs or practices when not at Longview.
—Longview requests that every retreat or camp have at least one Gospel or Bible-based message or service each full day they are on the camp facility.
—Longview requests that groups focus on Bible preaching and teaching, testimonies of praise to the Lord, workshop and seminars on biblically related subjects, songs of worship and praise to God above, and prayers; while refraining from any outward manifestations of sign gifts.
—Longview requests that participants refrain from smoking and use of other tobacco products, drinking alcoholic beverages, or using illegal drugs.
—Longview requests that all campers follow the dress guideline regarding modesty and appropriateness outlined in the camper information flyer.
—Longview requests that groups conducting their own music use sacred traditional music, Scripture songs, or praise and worship choruses whose lyrics are in agreement with Scripture.
—Longview requests that musical instruments used for accompaniment be limited to a piano or an acoustical guitar.
—Longveiw requests that the use of media and videos be consistent with the requests above.
—Baptism and communion are ordinances of the local church and will be practiced at Longview only if a specific local church does so under the leadership of the pastor/s of that church.
We agree to operate within the application guidelines of practice and behavior established by Longview while conducting a custom camp retreat at their facility.
Addendum for Churches Organizing More Than One Group or Christian Ministry
Longview requests that if we are going to bring or invite other churches or Christian ministries to this retreat/camp that we send to Longview along with our contract a signed Position Statement from each church or ministry that is sending people as a group and/or will be promoting this retreat within their church or ministry.
If the group of churches is a part of, or is represented by some larger organization or group, Longview further requests that the larger group leadership must also sign a Position Statement. This includes any denominational organization, association, or alliance where this retreat is a function of that larger group.
Longview also requests that if the speaker is not from our church or ministry that we request of the speaker a signed Position Statement. By signing this addendum, we are also agreeing to help Longview monitor who is invited to speak or teach at a Longview retreat so that Longview can honor its biblical convictions to maintain purity through biblically mandated separation.
Longview also respectfully requests that we honestly consider the statement before signing it. Longview's wish is to work with as many Bible-believing churches as possible while remaining true to the Word of God. As a sponsoring group or individual, we will not invite churches that obviously do not adhere to Longview's Position Statement or have ecclesiastical compromising leanings. It will only create difficulties since these are non-negotiable areas for Longview.
I am a born-again believer, and I believe
• in the Biblical account of creation;
• in the plenary, verbal inspiration of the Bible;
• in the eternal, triune God;
• in the incarnation and virgin birth of the Lord Jesus Christ;
• in the sinless life and substitutionary atonement of Jesus Christ on the cross;
• in the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ from the grave;
• in the second coming of Jesus Christ;
• in the eternal punishment of the unsaved in a literal, burning hell;
• in salvation by faith through the shed blood of Jesus Christ;
• in a separated stand from the world and unto the Word of God;
• in a separated stand from any ecumenical group such as the World Council of
Churches and the National Council of Churches, cults, the charismatic movement, etc.;
• in the God-ordained institution of marriage between one man and one woman,
and that all moral sexual relations are exercised solely within marriage.
Longview board members, officers,
and staff member sign this statement annually.
1. The Bible is the foundation for all that we do, and we must put it into practice by trusting God.
2. We must endeavor to keep focused on spiritual and eternal values. We do this by remembering Whom we serve and why.
3. We must help build up one another. We must help each other grow in teamwork, abilities, and relationship skills.
4. Loving people is best evidenced through remembering that "service is our privilege" and then practicing it.
5. We must communicate a true desire to serve others first.
6. We must use what God has given us today, with a pioneer spirit if necessary, while pressing toward an ever improving excellence in all that we do.
7. We must use the unique aspects of the situation in which God has placed us to the fullest extent. This includes viewing our location, our staff team, and our consitituency as gifts from God.
8. Our ministry team extends well beyond our location; therefore, we must establish and maintain a resource network.
9. Our aim is to eliminate distractions, all those things that distract our guests from really hearing the Word of God.
10. We must never quit; there is no substitute for sticking to it.